Your Kitchener-Waterloo, Cambridge, Guelph and Area Commercial Real Estate Leasing Checklist
A Cushman & Wakefield Waterloo Region Ltd., Brokerage commercial REALTOR® can help you at each stage of the process from finding your next commercial space to finalizing the commercial lease transaction. Some key steps are outlined below to help you as you start working with one of our commercial REALTOR®.
Find a Commercial Space (Conduct a Property Search)
- Consider location: You may want to consider commercial real estate locations that are close to your customers, your home, workers, vendors or suppliers.
- Find a space that suits your business needs: Consider the square footage, facilities, growth potential, street visibility, parking, security and so on.
- Building condition: During initial viewings make note of any visible damage or wear and you may want to follow up with a professional inspection.
Municipal Zoning & Fees
- Zoning: A Cushman & Wakefield Waterloo commercial real estate professional REALTOR® will check with the local municipal affairs office or municipal planning department for zoning regulations and land use to ensure compliance with the type of business.
- Expansion or subletting: Our team will check with the landlord to determine whether expansion if your business grows or subletting if you have extra space is permitted.
- Rent: Typically, the Tenant pays a Net Rent based on the square footage of the premises. The Tenant also pays Additional Rent which covers the Landlord’s operating costs (property taxes, maintenance, insurance).
- Insurance: Determine what is covered by your landlord’s insurance and what your business is liable for.
- Taxes: Verify which parties are responsible for property taxes or any municipal taxes.
Commercial Lease Agreement
- Consult a legal professional: Ensure your lawyer reviews your lease agreement before signing.
- Repairs and utilities: Review your lease agreement to determine which repairs are covered.
- Terms: Determine the length of the lease and the penalty for terminating the lease if required.
- Making an offer: When you’re ready, a member of our commercial REALTOR® team will help you negotiate and draft an offer.
Located in the heart of Southwest Ontario, our Cushman & Wakefield Waterloo Region Ltd., Brokerage office provides expertise in commercial real estate sales and leasing, investment and portfolio sales, development sites and project marketing, and operating business sales. Whether you are an employer, investor, developer or occupier, we provide a breadth of specialized services to provide solutions to manage your property requirements and enhance your investments.
Contact a Cushman & Wakefield Waterloo Region REALTOR®
Cushman & Wakefield Waterloo Region Ltd. Brokerage
4295 King Street East, Suite 101
Kitchener, ON N2P 0C6
+1 519 585 2200 phone
+1 519 650 5250 fax